Bringing Together Books, Children and Libraries...
The Booklegger Program is a volunteer opportunity for adults who want to share their love of reading with children. The program is dedicated to promoting independent reading among school-age children, in K through 8th grades. We believe that introducing lively, interesting, and diverse books to children of all ages will contribute to the success and achievement of Pleasanton's youth.
What a Booklegger Does
- Participants attend 18 hours of training beginning in September: Tuesday mornings from 9:15-11:45 for eight weeks. Training begins September 2020 for 2020/21 school year.
- After training, volunteers are asked to visit 6-12 classrooms twice each year for at least one school year.
- Volunteers visit classrooms in grades K through 8 giving 30 to 45 minute book presentations.
- Presentations may include short booktalks, reading aloud, and simple science or craft demonstrations.
- Volunteers select books for their programs from the Booklegger Collection
- The program is very flexible: Bookleggers determine the dates and times of their school visits.
Booklegger volunteers make an important contribution to the educational enrichment of Pleasanton children. However, our volunteers say that the best reward is the joy and enthusiasm of the children and their teachers.
Booklegger is a cooperative program between the Pleasanton Public Library and the Pleasanton Unified School District.
For more information, contact:
(925) 931-3400 x4426