Important: Before using the Virtual Reality equipment you must submit a signed copy of the waiver found at the bottom of this page to Library staff.
Virtual Reality at Pleasanton Public Library
The Virtual Reality (VR) service at Pleasanton Public Library aligns with our mission to discover, connect, and share new technologies in our community. Equitable access to new technologies helps people to acquire new skills, make informed decisions, and explore new possibilities.
What is virtual reality?
Virtual Reality (VR) uses a computer, headset, and sensors to immerse you directly into a three-dimensional, computer-generated world. Your head, hands, and body movements are tracked to let you interact with what you see via the headset.
What will I be able to do with VR at the library?
- Explore: Experience our planet like you've never experienced it before! Travel around the world, to distant planets, and even back in time without ever leaving the library.
- Learn: Discover more about the ocean, outer space, or the human body through VR experiences.
- Create: Make works of art in VR.
- Play: Try gaming in a 3D environment.
Where and how do I access the VR services?
- The Oculus Rift VR will be accessible for people ages 14 and older in the Community Creativity Center at the library. At this time, due to potential health issues we are not making this available to those younger than 14.
- All patrons need to sign a waiver before using the equipment, which can be accessed at the bottom of this page. Minors must provide a legal guardian's signature to use the equipment.
- VR experiences may cause dizziness and disorientation. Those prone to motion sickness should take care when using the Oculus Rift.
- One person or a group of up to eight people can sign up for one or two sessions per day.
- Each session is 30 minutes.
Virtual Reality Schedule: (Call at 925-931-3400, option 4, or visit the library for appointment)
- Monday 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Thursday 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
VR programs available at Pleasanton Public Library:
- Bear Island
- The Body VR
- Discovery VR
- Disney Movies VR
- Facebook Space Beta (Requires a Facebook account)
- First Contact
- Gala: See the World
- Go For Launch: Mercury Demo
- Google Earth VR
- Introduction To Virtual Reality
- Lucky’s Tale
- Misssion: ISS
- Oculus Video
- The People’s House
- ShareCare VR
- This is Our Future, The Nature Conservancy
- Through the Ages: President Obama Celebrates American’s National Parks
- Tutorial: DreamDeck Demo
VR at the library made possible by:
Oculus Rift VR at the Library is made possible through a California State Library grant. Oculus VR, Califa, and VAR Libraries have teamed up with the California State Library to bring 100 Oculus Rift headsets and compatible computers to 90 libraries throughout California.
Download and print waiver below: